Regardless of the type of surgical procedure you undergo, one thing is certain – there are important rules to follow to ensure a safe and smooth recovery. Breast augmentation surgery is no exception. To follow are the do’s and don’ts to abide by to make sure your healing process is complication-free.
- Maintain a healthy diet. This includes drinking plenty of clear fluids and eating foods rich in the essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients to help your body heal. Lean meats, citrus fruits, whole grains and dairy are excellent choices.
- Take your medication as prescribed. This especially goes for antibiotics, which are essential for healing. And take pain medication as needed.
- Wear a compression garment. This is an essential item needed to help reduce swelling and allow your body to heal.
- Rest! Now is the time to let your body recover without exertion. Sleep in a reclining position using stacks of pillows to help relieve some of the pressure from your breasts.
- Overexert yourself. Don’t lift anything heavy, exercise or play sports until you’ve been cleared by your doctor.
- Apply heat. Avoid using heating pads on your breasts and definitely do not take a hot bath or get into a Jacuzzi until your doctor says it’s okay.
- Drink alcohol. Imbibing in alcohol not only impedes the healing process, but it can also interfere with your pain medication.
- Extend your arms above your shoulders. Enlist someone to help you wash your hair and perform other duties that require you to list your arms above your shoulders.
- Wear shirts that pull over your head. By doing so, you run the risk of hurting your incisions. Opt for loose fitting clothing that buttons up the front instead.
- Smoke. When you smoke, you impede the healing process by interfering with circulation. Talk to your doctor about a smoking cessation program, or if you have trouble quitting, abstain from doing so for the early days after surgery.
To learn more about the best ways to recover safely from breast augmentation surgery, please contact us online to schedule an appointment. Our office in Spartanburg, SC, can be reached at 864-560-6717, while our office in Greer, SC, can be reached at 864-849-9330. We look forward to hearing from you!