BREAST AUGMENTATION IN SPARTANBURG & GREENVILLE
One of the most frequently performed cosmetic surgery procedures in the U.S., breast augmentation can give women with small or unevenly sized breasts a fuller, firmer,better-proportioned look through the placement of implants in the breast. Women may elect to undergo breast augmentation for many different medical and aesthetic motivations, including balancing breast size and compensating for reduced breast mass after pregnancy or surgery. The procedure may be combined with others such as a breast lift for more satisfying results.
Implants are silicone shells filled with saline (salt water) and are placed behind each breast, underneath either breast tissue or the chest wall muscle. The procedure lasts one to two hours and is typically performed with general anesthesia, although local anesthesia combined with a sedative is also possible. After surgery the patient’s bustline may be increased by one or more cup sizes.
Incisions are made in inconspicuous places on the breast to minimize scar visibility (in the armpit, in the crease on the underside of the breast, or around the areola, the dark skin around the nipple). The breast is then lifted, creating a pocket into which the implant is inserted.
The most common breast concerns are:
- I want more fullness.
- I’ve lost weight and my breasts have no shape.
- My breasts sag, and my nipples point downward.
- My breast are too small.
- My breasts aren’t symmetrical.
- I don’t have enough cleavage.
- I want a more appealing figure.
FAQ Breast Augmentation
BREAST AUGMENTATION WITH IMPLANTS
A common complaint from women of all ages and body types is that they think their breasts are too small. You may have been born with naturally small breasts that lack fat and tissue, or you may have lost volume with time or after pregnancy. Women are often unhappy with their natural breast asymmetries (one breast is smaller than the other), which can also be corrected with surgery.
Before deciding on breast augmentation, it’s important that we discuss the overall look you’re trying to achieve. Breast augmentation today is all about customizing the procedure to your desired look and body type, as opposed to just giving your bigger breasts.
We will make decisions together which size, type of implant and what placement is best for you based on your needs and wants, as well as your breast measurements. To get a feel for how you may look after surgery, you can place different sized and shaped implants in your bra or bathing suit. This is a good way of estimating what you may look like with larger breasts before committing to surgery.
What you should Expect From A Breast Augmentation
Breast Augmentation surgery is done under general anesthesia; you should be able to return home the same day. The surgery lasts one to two hours and is usually performed under general anesthesia. The incisions are in inconspicuous places so they are well hidden. Most scars fade within four to six weeks and your breast shape will start to settle within weeks-although it may take six months to a year to see the final results.
You may experience some bruising, swelling, feel tired and sore for a few days. Most patients return to work after a long weekend. Dr. Orseck routinely performs breast augmentation on Thursday and patients are back to their normal daily activities on Monday.
In most cases patients are released to full body workouts three weeks after surgery. Light cardio, without upper body, can be resumed after one week.
Breast Implant Options Dr. Orseck offers
Breast Implants are measured in ccs- the higher the number, the larger the implant. About every 150 to 200ccs equates to an increase of approximately one to one-and-a-half cup sizes. (To determine the ideal implant size for you, the width of your breast and tissue needs to be taken into consideration.)
Dr. Orseck most commonly uses Allergan Natrelle implants. To learn more about the available implant types and the Natrelle ConfidencePlus warranty program please visit https://www.natrelle.com/gummy-implants
Breast Implant Types
- Saline: These implants rely on saline (saltwater) and are filled at the time of surgery via a small incision that results in a small scar.
- Silicone: Prefilled silicone implants contain cohesive gel that helps prevent the silicone from migrating.
Breast Implant Shapes
- Teardrop: Teardrop implants have more of a slope and less fullness in the upper part of the implant.
- Round: Round implants provide the upper breast with the most volume.
Breast Implant Placement
- Submuscular: Placed under the pectoral muscle.
- Submammary: Placed behind the breast tissue, and on top of the pectoral muscle (aka subglandular placement).
Breast Implant Incisions
- In The Breast Fold: The easiest incision to make and provides symmetry.
- Periareolar: A small incision around the nipple that heals well.
- Axillary: Uses an incision in the armpit made endoscopically to create a pocket so your implant doesn’t sit too high.
Breast Implant Profiles
- Low Profile: Gives a small amount of projection so the breasts don’t stick out that much from the chest.
- Moderate Profile: Slightly tapered with projection that’s between a low-profile implant and a high-profile implant.
- High Profile: These give ample projection and fullness because of their narrow width and small base.
What can happen if your implants are too large?
Not every body is built to accommodate large implants, which is why there is a risk of long-term problems like tissue, fat and muscle thinning, pressure atrophy and stretch marks.
How to determine implant size
An easy way to help you determine implant size is to make rice sizers at home. The instructions below direct you on how to make the sizers.
How to Do the Rice Test
The rice test is a fast and easy way to get an idea of how you would look with different sizes of breast implants. Just follow the instructions below to make your “rice implants” or “rice sizers,” based on the amount of rise used to simulate different cc volumes. After making your homemade sizers, place them inside of a sports bra to begin to get an idea of how you can enhance your figure with breast augmentation.
Making Your “Rice Implants”
Rice implant sizers are a simple DIY project that allows you to test out various implant sizes. Here’s what you need to make your own rice implant sizers:
- Panty hose or knee high hose
- Measuring cup in milliliters (1 milliliter = 1 cc cubic centimeter)
- Dry rice
To make your homemade breast implants:
Cut a 12-inch length of pantyhose (do not use the foot portion).
Tie a knot in one end.
- Start at 150 milliliters, if that is too small add 50 until you reach a size you like
- At your consultation with Dr. Orseck you’ll try implant sizers to help you choose your size as well
Rice Test Tips
When you try different sizes, pour the rice back into the measuring cup and re-measure.
Try on different shirts, blouses and swimsuit tops. Try with a non-padded sports bra for best results.
Wear your “rice implants” around the house.
Look at your contour in the mirror.
Think about how you might look and feel with breast implants of various sizes.
Remember that breast implant volumes don’t necessarily equal a certain bra cup size. For example, a “D” cup for one woman could be a “C” cup for someone else.
The rice test is a general guide for breast augmentation sizing only. It should mostly be considered as a way to begin educating yourself about breast implants while preparing for your cosmetic surgery consultation with a plastic surgeon experienced with breast procedures.
Schedule a client consultation
To learn more on Breast Augmentation, please contact us at (864) 560-6717 or email us using the form below.